Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday musings.....

First off, thanks for the comments in my first post.  I appreciate them, and some of the links that I have found while perusing through your respective blogs! 

Today will probably be a whole lot, about a bunch of things.  I'm in one of those moods.. lol.

First topic of discussion:  Strong is the New Skinny (SINS).  I ADORE this term.  This is how I talk to my clients, and how I perceive myself.  While now I have a little excess over my strong, it is my motto, and my training method.  At the previous gym I worked at, I got into a very lengthy discussion with a woman (about my own age) one evening.  She was waiting for her daughter to finish a yoga class and I was just finishing up my day and leaving the Trainer Office.  She looked as though she wanted to ask me a question, so I stopped to chat with her.  I didn't get the comment that I expected, but I took it like a big girl.

"You're a personal trainer, how come you are big?"

Yes.. she said that... While it did cross my mind to drop her to the floor right there, I sucked up my pride and defended strong vs "skinny".  I know what I look like at 125 lbs.  I am waify and my spine is noticeable.  It's not nice.  I am desperately trying to find some pics so I can put them in my blog, but 2002 was pre-digital!  I always seemed to be behind the camera, even at my thinnest!  I told her I would rather weigh 10-15 lbs more (so 135-140) and look/feel strong. 

   This is me, September 2006, at about 138 lbs.... Has to be one of my fave running photos. 

She still wasn't getting it.  She is/was stuck on that THIN = FIT.  So, to make my point, I asked her to point out someone she thought was "fit" in the gym... then get that girl to do a side-by-side plank against me... I may not be "fit" (in her mind) but I can do a 2+ minute straight arm plank....

Being a single and looking girl as well, I often struggle with filling out the body description area of my profile.  I always lean towards "athletic" but know that far too many men equate athletic with skinny.  Where on earth do they get that from?  I mean - look at female cyclists & speedskaters (whom I resemble most build wise).  They are strong, powerful and ATHLETIC!  But I know that by putting athletic as my body type I am just setting myself up for discussions that I don't want to get into, so I simply put "average" .  :(  I can't even flaunt my athleticism when looking for a date. 

So that is my constant dilemma.  Lord knows I have actually had dreams lately that I have been fired from the gym I train in because I am not skinny.  Which is a silly, silly idea.

Speaking of work, I had a FANTASTIC work out today.  First strength workout in about 5 weeks.  Between being super busy and hurting my back a week and a half ago I made myself work out after I had finished my last client today.  3 circuits, 15 reps & 3 sets of each.

1:
Plate press (200 lbs)
Tricep pull down (cable) 25 lbs
Bench step ups

2:
Laying Hamstring curls 30 lbs
Lat Pull down 45 lbs
Good Mornings 20 lb barbell

3:
Smith Squats 90 lbs
Decline chest press 10 lbs
Piston squats

I was "done" when I was finished, but I had a smile on my face and felt awesome.  Workouts scheduled for S, T & Th next week.  Same legs, mix up the upper body work. 

Food, not completely paleo/primal yet, but working on it.  I can't afford to clear the fridge and start from fresh right now (February has been a brutally expensive month for me) so I am making do with what I had already.  I am pretty much out of bread products, so the last 2 days have been completely bread free.  Tonight I did have some rice, but that was due to my workout..... A lot of the other trainers I work with will have some carbs, but only after they have done a work out.  So that worked for me today. 

Well, if you are still reading, thank you.. my ramblings are done for tonight! 

See you in a day or two! 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, I love your perspective on SINS, and I think you should change your profile to athletic and not average because, you are athletic and if a man can't see that, he isn't the right guy for you! :) Enjoyed your ramblings, continue the good work, hopefully you will be all Paleo by next month! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Hannah, it isn't your fault if a guy can't discern athletic from skinny and you should be proud of your athleticism! Trainers should be fit not just skinny, I see a skinny trainer and I think "Oh lord she'd make me do HOURS of cardio and forget about weights" Deadlifts are a must in my book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete